Although chlorine is in the name, chlorine dioxide is radically different from chlorine. This gas, suspended in water, acts as a disinfection agent against viruses, bacteria, algae, mold, fungi, and other contaminants.

Visual representation of chlorine dioxide chemical compound

Chlorine dioxide is 2.6 times more effective than chlorine and does not produce any carcinogenic byproducts. It is a potent oxidizer, which means it steals electrons from harmful organisms, by attacking the microbe until it is no longer compatible with life.

At lower concentrations, it is non-toxic, safe, and environmentally friendly. Since it is a water-based solution, once the chlorine dioxide gas does it work, the solution simply evaporates. It is pH neutral, so it does not damage surfaces and is non-corrosive. Chlorine dioxide has been recognized as a disinfectant since the early 1900’s, initially to treat water, and has been approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for applications. It has been used in water treatments, agricultural, food processing & extending food freshness, animal and livestock, facilities, and more.

Biovex/Oxine is a disinfectant, sanitizer, deodorizer, sterilant, fungicidal, bactericidal, virucidal, tuberbulocidal, and sporicidal.